Friday, April 2, 2010

There Is A Method To This Madness

Yes, Hannah is behind.
Yes, I am doing script frenzy this year.
Yes, I have failed the last two years in a row.

Why do I do this to myself?

Actually, I have a really good reason. It's kind of like that scene in Major Pain. Y'know, the one where the guy's been shot, or something, so his friend breaks his thumb? Like that. If I fail at script frenzy, it will be because I was procrastinating. And if I'm procrastinating on my screenplay, I'm going to have to find something else to do. And there will be Hannah. And if I'm procrastinating on Hannah, I will have to find something else to do. And there will be script frenzy. And at any given moment, one of them is bound to be less painful than the other.

This method is actually surprisingly effective, or has proven so in the past, right up until one of them trumps the other one, and I've just decided, (no, really, right this second, I have to go change what my profile says) that since I'm working on Hannah, which is a very personal project from back in the day, Screnzy will be likewise. I will be doing Preston Academy, which is an internet serial I wrote (read: began) back in the days of Geocities (R.I.P) and which I've always wondered whether I should translate to TV serial or a book series. Like Hannah, I really enjoyed and got attached to the characters, and was always sad not to see them reach their full potential. When I was supposed to go to the Vancouver Film School, and couldn't get the money (don't ask. ODSP are complete overbearing assholes, and I don't want to talk about it.) it was one of the things I was mucking around with in preparation, since I've never actually done a TV series, but I wound up doing the outline for the pilot episode, and with my tendency to overwrite, two or three good episodes should fulfill, though once i get started, I could probably move all the way through a first series, as I already know them well enough (yes, I've heard it before too).

The truth is, I want to do it because I won Nano last year (squeaked by, but whatever) and it makes me feel like crap I can't get my stuff together enough to do this. I want to go back to the days when I could spend hours at the keyboard without needing a $4 on a coffee from down the street, or to make sure nothing good was on Dr. Phil, or nobody had commented on my latest blog post, youtube video, or tweet. I miss myself. All this nostalgia, I miss me when I was The Girl Who Wrote The Stories, instead of The Writer Going Nowhere Faster Than The Speed Of Light. *sigh* Poor me, right? I know.

Preston is fun. It's nothing heavy or deep, it's like, it's like a cross between Fame, Glee, and Gossip Girl (though, light on that. I am so tired of TV shows about how hard it is to be a spoiled rich kid). It's so I can goof around, take it easy, one step at a time, and I already know the story. So it'll be a change, which will make it a challenge, but , like Hannah, it'll be like coming home, only not after a long and harrowing journey, but more like after summer vacation. I can totally do both.

Right?

ScriptFrenzy

(Anybody else on there, I'm under reckless.tenacity)

No comments:

Post a Comment